Friday, September 26, 2008

If you thought last night's "Office" was good then don't read this.

The highly anticipated season premiere of the hit NBC show "The Office" made it's glorious debut last night only to leave most viewers less than satisfied, myself included. I will keep this short and simply list the things that I did not like:
  • First and foremost, the Jim and Pam plot is wearing thin. I am happy to see he proposed but it's about damn time! You can only rely on a sub story like that for so long and the writers have milked this one for all its worth (literally the entire second and third seasons were based on it).
  • The jokes and punchlines were sub-par. A good example is when the new HR lady, Holly, and Michael do some stupid rap in the warehouse. The joke had nothing to do with the story and lacked any substance that made me laugh. Keep in mind that is one example picked out of a whole stew full of them.
  • There were so many plots to follow I can't keep track of them. Jan and the baby, the new secretary, the newer new secretary, a weight loss competition, Kelly's diet, Jim and Pam, Pam in art school, Michael and Holly, Dwight and Angela, Angela and Andy-the list can go on for a while more but I think you get the point.
  • "Dear Writers. When you get rid of a character by sending them to Puerto Rico or put them in jail for fraud, please, please, for everyone's sake, LEAVE THEM THERE! I don't wanna watch some documentary about Toby in the hospital that has nothing to do with anything in Scranton or watch Ryan climb his way to the top again (plus he is just a douche so please make him go away). Love, Chad"
I remember the first two seasons of "The Office". Every episode was genuinely hilarious. It was so successful because the show, back then, didn't rely entirely on love interest sub-plots or exploiting the flaws of new characters and how they are getting along with the staff. Old episodes had a unique story that began and ended in the allotted half an hour and that's what made them so great. I am not saying the new episode was a complete flop but I doubt we will see the day where current episodes will compare with classics like "The Injury" and "Dwight's Speech".

Reporting rather disgruntled,
Chad Waite

P.S. If that guy Pam was flirting around with at Art School causes relationship problems between her and Jim I will quit watching the office.

5 comments:

Bags said...

Hey, at least we know Kevin's not retarded now.

Tyson Call said...

He's mentally handi-capped!

Here's is my rebuttal: http://tysoncall.blogspot.com/2008/09/if-you-thought-differently-about-last.html

Michelle said...

Lame, Chad. I liked last nights episode. I agree with Tyson's rebuttal.

Shan @ Design Gal said...

I SOOOOO agree! If her flirting ruins their relationship, I'll shun the show! But when they make up I'll unshun the show. Lol

Mrcoolbrad said...

First about the Rap and how it had nothing to do with the plot.. The very second before that Jim or somebody else says that Michael and Holly are both Nerds or geeks or something of the sort. But then it cuts to them rapping being dumb.. Which adds to them sorta hitting it off but Michael being too stupid to figure out how to do anything right. Secondly, all the different directions it pulled us?? It wasn't that hard to follow. I watched it when I was tired and still understood everything.. That is all